Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Let's Revisit Executive Skills

This year I'm taking on an (old-ish) skill development program/framework/curriculum for helping students.  Executive Functioning is not a new phrase, yet there is so much work being done by researchers, scientists, and teachers.  I feel I need to revive it with my students.  I need to place the power on them to analyze themselves, reflect, set goals, and improve.

**Executive functioning is an umbrella term for the regulation of working memory, reasoning, task flexibility, and problem solving.  This term also includes planning and the execution of plans.

Experts are now aware that a students' executive functioning skills are a truer indicator of success than intelligence tests. (Galinsky)

These skills begin developing early... we're talking at 2-3 years old.  As a teacher working with kindergarten through 6th graders, I see executive skills as a blinding issue in all areas.  My students are wonderful, kind, bright, interesting people, yet all of them (and all of us) have executive skill deficits of some kind.  And I believe we all know a few students whose personalities and skills are not "fitting" with how classrooms are run.

The ways in which I'm using the research on executive functioning to better my students' skills and school experience include:
  • Students take questionnaires to target areas of weakness. 
  • Students make SMART goals based on their deficit areas.
  • Lessons often include movement.
  • Color code materials and class information.
  • Students are given TIME to organize lockers, folders, etc.
  • Students are given the time and opportunity to talk through problems with peers.
I'm really just getting started integrating executive functioning into my teaching, and I'm already seeing the value and importance! 

Here are some reads I've found helping...
    


And here's a great resource for more information : http://rnbc.org/education/a-focus-on-executive-function/

No comments:

Post a Comment