Friday, July 17, 2015

1st Post: WHY I'm Blogging

Well, here we go!
One of My Blogging Inspirations
I have finally sat down to write my first blog post.  This post has been intimidating me for weeks, as I have been running through ideas and long rambling posts in my head. As I develop as a new blogger, I need to begin with my purpose and I have pinpointed major goals for myself in this journey. Influences for me include the countless inspiring teacher blogs out there that I have been "lurking" on for years and most recently, a book by Starr Sackstein in the Corwin Connected Educators Series" books called "Blogging for Educators--Writing for Professional Learning".  Much of what you'll read next in my "WHY" section has been borrowed/adapted/found in this book.
THANK YOU for being a part of my learning network, as you are reading this blog and joining me in this journey! :)

WHY I'm Here 
In short: I'm Here for my Students and Myself.
1. Reflection- Throughout my first 5 years of teaching (K, 3rd, 5th, and now special education) I have had "REFLECT" on my to-do list every single year.  Now I am finally REALLY going to purposefully reflect, using this blog as my outlet, a home for my thoughts, and a tool to better identify my strengths and weaknesses.  In turn, I will, hopefully, be a better teacher for my students and they will reap the rewards of my improved instruction and practices!

2. Connection- As any human, I long to connect with others.  I am inspired and excited by relating to others, sharing ideas, encouraging, and being supported. I am the sole elementary special educator in my district, and I heavily rely on my digital connections to help me learn and grow.  Thank you, in advance, for your support! :)

3. Growth- As Starr Sackstein introduces "Blogging for Educators", "Generating an online space to openly share ideas and reflections richens the complete education experience." (p.1)  I know there is more to gain and experience as a teacher beyond the classroom, colleagues, and students (while I love them so!).  I am here, blogging, to grow as a professional and personally.  Through creating my own voice online, I hope to become a deeper, more thoughtful educator and person.

Just as I'm "here for my students and myself", I hope you're here for yourself, growing and connecting online and can join me in this journey for growth as 21st century educators.  I hope you're here for those kiddos you teach everyday, the ones who deserve a teacher who is connected and constantly looking to improve.

Sackstein strongly recommends ending each blog post with a question or challenge, so... WHY are you here?  WHAT are your goals as a #TeacherBlogger?

Lots of Love,


No comments:

Post a Comment